Before Intravenous Sedation
If you have scheduled your procedure with intravenous sedation, also called IV sedation, conscious sedation or “Going to sleep”, the following instructions apply:
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment. Regularly scheduled medications may be taken with a SIP of water.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify our office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Ciuci, Dr. Perrone and Dr. Volpe prior to your surgical date for instructions.